Scaled Servings: 10 Originally: 4
- 2 1/2 tablespoon olive oil, plus more
- 2 1/2 4 pound watermelon, seedless rind removed, cut into 1/2″-thick slices
- 2 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided, kosher
- 10 heirloom tomatoes, multicolored thinly sliced
- 1 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more
- 15 ounce feta, (about 1 1/4 cups) thinly sliced
Preparation Prepare a grill for medium-high heat or heat a grill pan or cast-iron skillet over medium-high; oil grate or pan.
Using a 2″ diameter ring cutter or thin drinking glass, cut watermelon into circles; you should have 20–22 pieces (reserve scraps for another use). Season watermelon on both sides with 1/2 tsp. salt. Grill watermelon until well charred, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate and set aside until cool to the touch, about 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, toss tomatoes, 1 Tbsp. oil, 1 tsp. salt, and 1/2 tsp. pepper in a large bowl.
Layer watermelon, tomato mixture, and cheese in alternating layers on a platter, draining any extra liquid from tomatoes before using. Drizzle with oil, season with pepper, and serve.